Dear Tomcat Flyers, Fixers, and Fans,
This year is the 11th anniversary of the Tomcat Sunset. The retirement of the world’s most capable Fighter, and later Strike/Fighter. I dare say that it lives on in our hearts and minds just as strongly today as back then.
Highlights since the last update:
- Your Board of Directors have been very busy working with museums on their F-14 static displays to help preserve them. We have been providing technical information, and our artisans have developed/produced two different nose gear strut braces to keep the Tomcat in the proper “perch”.
- The 2016 Virginia Beach reunion last September was one for the books. Highlights included:
- NAS Oceana Air Show
- Visit to the Military Aviation Museum
- Happy Hour and Panel Discussions with great friends and fans. Dennis Romano told the riveting tail of the F-14/F-15 fly-off at Andrews AFB that resulted in the sale of the F-14 to the Shah of Iran’s Air Force. Other panelists shared their tales as well.
- Banquet Dinner at the Doubletree Hotel featuring guest of honor David Grumman, and featured guest speaker Dave “Bio” Baranek
- David Grumman, the son of LeRoy Grumman, had a front row seat to the designing of many incredible Grumman aircraft, including the F-14. He told some very interesting stories about his father and some of the early days, even preceding the formation of Grumman, as well as sharing some fascinating photographs. Thank you, David!
- Bio Baranek wowed the crowd with anecdotes from his Topgun days and other wonders of flying at Miramar.
- We updated our web site and online tools so that you can get more from your membership and are working on a store to buy your favorite F-14 patches, and memorabilia. Note that you can pay your dues, read interesting stories, search for other members, and keep up with planned reunions and various Tomcat related activities around the country.